The client, a Fortune 100 software company, wanted to move its identity and access management (IAM) product line to a managed testing service model to eliminate the overhead of personnel selection and management, and focus instead on business-driven results. The client was clear about what it was looking for: The managed services testing team would be responsible for the planning, preparation, and execution of test plans, and track and close defects related to all IAM projects. The client needed a partner to manage these day-to-day activities and the team’s performance through close collaboration. The client had an increased focus on test automation, innovation, and continuous improvement to maximize testing efficiency.
Using an Agile development approach, the client needed the managed testing service team to be tightly integrated with the other domains, requirements, and IAM product development. Team structure would include a dedicated QA project manager, seven software design engineers in test (SDETs), and six service managers (SMs). The SDETs would be responsible for the overall quality assurance of IAM projects and the SMs would be responsible for IAM applications after they were delivered to production.
Experis provided comprehensive managed services for all QA testing and test automation services. Experis executed a thorough transition plan that was defined in four phases:
- Transition Initiation - All current client resources were converted and all team-building activities, including onboarding, orientation, and training, were completed within two weeks.
- Establish Services and Environment - A QA project manager was introduced to the team; planning activities, including test plan preparation and alignment with IAM release schedule, were completed. Quality metrics (SLA and KPIs) and effective status reporting were defined.
- Execute Managed Services - The test plan was executed, including implementation of test automation processes, governance processes, and support services tailored to business needs. Metrics were regularly captured and reported in status meetings to show progress and for issue resolution.
- Steady State and Continuous Improvement - Opportunities were identified through quarterly business reviews and overall customer satisfaction. Experis provided a constant focus on resource uplift, with regular training sessions on new technologies, testing processes, procedures, and standards.
Experis provided managed testing services that increased the client’s operational efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability. This included:
- A thorough transition plan from current state to a managed services model
- A governance structure that drove results and ensured seamless, efficient communication
- Sustainable, consistent, reliable QA and management processes
- Agile-based test processes
- Automation test processes and tools
- A set of metrics to accurately depict performance and enable predictive management decision-making.
Through these measures, the identity and access management product line was able to increase test coverage and efficiency; leverage continuous integration; decrease system test and production defects; and lower overall operational cost while providing a better product experience. Product quality increased while test execution time decreased, resulting in a faster time to market.